Now that the warmer weather is here, summer decorating is a natural concern. We bet your home is just beckoning for some much needed TLC after being neglected during those long winter months. In light of spring’s arrival, we’ve provided you with 4 easy tasks to get your condo ready for the summer months!
Tip 1: Add some summer colour
The easiest way to ready your home for the warmer weather is to brighten it- literally. Paint your walls a vibrant sunshine yellow, or throw some bright blue curtains up. Painting is also one of the cheapest ways to renovate your home- and the least risky! Here are eight fun colours that you could use on your condo walls this summer:
1. Sunny yellow! It will most definitely put a smile on your face.
2. Sky Blue. It’s calming and serene- just what you need to relax with a chilled iced tea.
3. Fun pink. This feminine colour will breathe new warmth into any room
4. Refreshing lime. Use this bold colour as an accent to bring some much-needed green inside.
5. Chic coral. There’s no need to explain this one- coral is trending everywhere!
6. Bold red. Use this colour in your entry room; it’s inviting and happy, ensuring guests have a great time!
7. Nautical Navy. Though not as bright as the colours before it, navy is a great “neutral” colour to use while playing with other, more daring, tones.
8. Clean white. Perhaps not the most exciting, but a nice, crisp white brings an astounding amount of natural light into your home, and makes everything look clean and pristine!
Quick Tip: Mixing and matching different coloured paints will make for a unique and on trend look; for instance, combining bright colours with pastels, can create an individual, stylish kitchen that is perfect for spring and summer.
Tip 2: Use fun patterns
Pattern can add another dimension to a room and interest to simple features. Floral patterns are on trend for Spring/Summer 2013. It’s important to note that pattern usage doesn’t have to be confined to walls and floors. Use patterns on your curtains and even bedding as well.
These patterned blinds from Luxaflex add appeal to this scheme, while a range of soft furnishings give a sumptuous, layered look.
Tip 3: Decorate outdoors
There’s no better way to ready your home for spring and summer than to decorate outdoors and on your balcony. Here are some quick tips to help get you started:
- Create casual areas where you and your guests can feel comfortable and conversational. To do this, you might want to install a fire pit, an outdoor fountain, or an outdoor kitchen bar, depending on the space of your balcony and your Condo Corporation’s regulations, of course. Use outdoor rugs to create focused seating areas.
- If your style is contemporary, opt for modern, comfortable outdoor furniture. If your style leans toward the traditional, choose outdoor decorations that mirror that style.
- Choose seating that is comfortable and beckons you to sink in and relax. Add cushions, pillows and throw blankets to make the seating area a place you love to go to unwind.
- Select colors that reflect your personality – look indoors and take cues from the colors you use within your home.
Tip 4: Quick, but refreshing change-ups
Though making the switch from winter to spring can be overwhelming, start with these quick change-ups to get the ball rolling.
Bedding. After being bundled in wool and flannel for so long, take a cue from the light and airy textiles of summer fashion and switch up your bedding. Light cotton sheets will be cool, crisp and fresh on muggy summer nights.
Pillows. The summer is the perfect time to play with pillows in your space — they are a quick and easy change and can be purchased fairly inexpensively. This season, we are going to be seeing significant Indian and Moroccan influence in décor, so take a cue and be playful with primary colours, bright hues and exotic hits. Crate and Barrel, Pier 1, and Home Sense are great places to explore to purchase pillows that pop.
Spring Clean! As we start to let the sun shine in, it may give light to some stored dust. Blast those dust bunnies away from under sofas, on baseboards, or behind drapery. Use a natural cleaning product or a fresh mix of one part water to one part vinegar and give your condo a thorough clean. The place will smell great and all the colourful accents you are going to introduce will have a fresh home.
Green, green, and more green! Along with a good clean, plants and flowers will not only up your pretty factor but they’ll also improve your air quality. Indoor plants like the spider plant and peace lily are said to be heavy hitters for improving the air in your space. Flowers in bright, bold hues (I love gerbera daisies and hydrangeas in the summer) are another simple (and pretty) way to add colour and life to your condo.